C 56 Wreck

Puerto Morelos

Laid down and launched by the American Ship Building Company of Lorain, Ohio on March 13th 1943, the USS Knave (AM-256) was an Admirable class minesweeper built for the US Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic during World War II and was decommissioned in May 1946 and placed in reserve.

While she remained in reserve, Knave was reclassified as MSF-256 in February 1955 but never reactivated. In October 1962 she was sold to the Mexican Navy and renamed ARM DM-13. In 1994 she was renamed ARM Cadete Juan Escutia (C56).

The C56 wreck was purposefully sunk, on 28th Oct 2000 by the President of Mexico, Ernesto Zedillo as a new attraction for divers coming to the Riviera Maya.

Laying perfectly upright, with the keel on the sand at 90ft, the 184ft long Mexican Gun Boat was quickly inhabited by various marine life. The deck, at 64ft, is teeming with life and it's common to see a large shoal of Big Eye Travellies hunting there. As we travel round the wreck we commonly see large Wrasse, Groupers, Morays and, looking up, flights of Eagle Rays. Soft corals have colonised the wreck and now offer a home to many Arrow crabs and Fire worms amongst other small crustaceans and invertebrates. And, close to the Wheelhouse watch out for the resident barracuda, he’s getting big!

Don't forget we need a minimum of 2 divers and have to book in advance to get the best possible conditions for the dive. Ask early to avoid disappointment!